Goodness! It’s October already. Where did the summer go? We’re still enjoying some gloriously warm days here on Scilly but autumn has definitely begun to show itself as the cooler evenings draw in.
Amazingly, we’re into our last week of the season at the guesthouse although the Kaffeehaus will remain open throughout the whole of October.
We’ve had a fantastic season – the guesthouse has been fully-booked all summer and the Kaffeehaus has been wonderfully busy every day with lots of walkers and four-legged friends stopping by our sunny garden for some delicious homemade soups or a coffee and Apfelstrudel treat!
We can’t begin to calculate how many strudels we’ve made at the Kaffeehaus in the last six months and this year, Hebe has celebrated our special recipe on a tea towel design for all to enjoy. So as you hunker down for the winter months, you could perhaps enjoy delicious memories of the Kaffeehaus in your own home!
Our tea towels are available for £4.50 (+p&p) if you’d like to purchase one – an excellent Christmas gift perhaps? But here’s the recipe too, in case you fancy giving it a go…
- Peel and cut your Bramley apples into inch-sized chunks
- Coat the apples in Demerara sugar
- Place the apples in the centre of your pastry and sprinkle sultanas over the top
- Fold the pastry to form a log
- Cover the strudel in whipped cream and sprinkle more sugar on top
- Place in the oven at 200°C for 35-40 minutes
Happy baking everyone!